Watch OAD's 2020 First Monday in October:
- Qualified Immunity & Our Work: Qualified immunity limits the financial consequences that public officials might face if they commit misconduct while on duty. Not only are civil rights violations like brutality and false arrest often shielded from taxpayers, but also in later trial proceedings. Join us to discuss how allegations of bad acts by officers can be explored in a criminal trial, and how attorneys litigate the non-disclosure of such information in a post-conviction setting.
- Our Appellate Litigation: What does "appellate defense" mean to us? And why do appeals matter in public defense? Join our staff in conversation about our appellate litigation practice. We'll discuss recent OAD successes in court, our strategies, and how we're using our litigation practice to pursue racial justice and holistic representation.
- The Reinvestigation Project: Like the Serial and In the Dark podcasts? Ever thought about how to unravel a wrongful conviction? Join our Reinvestigation Project to talk about how a guilty verdict doesn’t always mean the crime was solved. They'll discuss mistaken eyewitnesses, false confessions, and dubious forensic science in the New York courts.
- The Parole Advocacy Project: Our clients deserve to rejoin the community. What does it take to convince people who run an unforgiving system that our clients have been punished enough? Join the Parole Advocacy Project team to discuss what it took for our clients to get a second chance. They'll also be available to answer any questions you have about parole and how it works for our clients.
- COVID and Prisons: You can’t socially distance in prison. Incarcerated people are at greater risk of contracting and dying from COVID-19 than the general public. Join our attorneys to talk about how OAD has been fighting to protect our clients during the pandemic, and to discuss what more needs to be done in the months ahead.
WARMEST THANKS TO OUR GENEROUS SUPPORTERS!
Myrna Felder Ι Roy L. Reardon
Antonia M. Apps Ι Nicolas Bourtin Ι Sean Hecker Ι Jeffrey Udell
Sullivan & Cromwell
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
Elizabeth Grayer & Aidan Synnott
Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
John & Jo-Ann Lynch
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
Kit Roane & Katya Jestin
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina
Selendy & Gay PLLC
Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
Antonia M. Apps
Garrard Beeney & Evan Mason
Steven L. Holley
Scott D. Miller
Alison S. Ressler
Joel B. Rudin
Walden Macht & Haran LLP
Nicolas Bourtin & Elisabetta Lachi
Covington & Burling LLP
DLA Piper LLP (US)
Maria T. Galeno
Robert J. Giuffra, Jr.
Goodwin Procter LLP
Sean Hecker & Mari Hinojosa
Mary & Tom Heyman
Brian & Mary Loughman
Tatiana Martins & George Sirignano
Morvillo Abramowitz Grand Iason & Anello PC
Joe & Nina Shenker
Stephanie G. Wheeler
Avergun Family Charitable Trust
H. Rodgin Cohen
Mary Anne Ford
Philip & Eileen Graham
Tracy Richelle High
Dani R. James
William B. Monahan
David M.J. Rein
Jeffrey T. Scott
Liza M. Walsh
Rita M. Glavin
Michael C. Miller