(Starting After July 1, 2018)
OAD seeks a Staff Attorney, for a three-year position, to join its outstanding team. Each OAD Staff Attorney is closely supervised, including “double-teaming” of each case. Under the “double-teaming” method, the Supervisor assigned to the case reads the entire appellate record, and works closely with the Staff Attorney to identify appellate issues and develop a theory of the case. The Supervisor also edits drafts of the briefs and helps to prepare the Staff Attorney for oral argument. This model provides high-quality training to Staff Attorneys, while assuring that no client is compromised by being represented by a less-experienced attorney.
OAD is devoted to maintaining a staff of lawyers with diverse backgrounds and experiences. Every OAD staff member shares a profound commitment to public service and to defending the disadvantaged.
- Representing poor people convicted of felonies in Manhattan and the Bronx on direct appeal in the Appellate Division and the New York Court of Appeals; in post-conviction motions and hearings; in hearings to determine classification level pursuant to the Sex Offender Registration Act (SORA); and in federal habeas corpus challenges to state court convictions;
- Extensive researching and writing of appellate briefs;
- Case conferencing, strategy development, client communication, and legal visits;
- Advising clients of potential appellate options, including withdrawal of guilty pleas, where appropriate, and negotiating pleas or other remedies following reversal of conviction;
- Assisting clients with parole proceedings and re-entry preparation.
- J.D. degree;
- Admission to the New York Bar, ability to promptly secure such admission, or registration for July 2018 New York Bar Examination;
- Outstanding legal research, writing, and oral advocacy skills;
- Demonstrated commitment to representing poor people convicted of crimes;
- Strong belief in the value and importance of communication with and respect for clients;
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently;
- Prior criminal defense experience, particularly at the appellate level, is highly preferred.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary for OAD staff attorneys is based on years of experience, and currently starts at $54,000 for law graduates. OAD offers an excellent benefits package.
Applications will be considered and interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis. Interested applicants should submit a resume, writing sample, and cover letter. The cover letter should address.
- Why the applicant is interested in working at OAD;
- What skills or experiences make the applicant a strong candidate.
Application materials should be sent by email to email@example.com, with a subject line in the email stating: Staff Attorney Position 2018. If necessary, questions may be directed to the same email address, with Question in the subject line.