The Office of the Appellate Defender (OAD) is New York’s oldest provider of appellate representation to poor people convicted of felonies, and the City’s second oldest institutional indigent defense offense. Since its founding in 1988, OAD has maintained a national reputation for superb appellate advocacy and innovation, as well as a holistic, client-centered, approach to representation. OAD has repeatedly been recognized by the New York State Bar Association, and the appellate courts, for excellent representation.
OAD handles post-conviction cases from the Bronx and Manhattan, including direct appeals before the Appellate Division, First Department, and the New York Court of Appeals. OAD also litigates sex offender registration level hearings, drug law resentencings, and motions to overturn wrongful convictions (including claims based on new or undisclosed evidence, prosecutorial misconduct and ineffective assistance of counsel). OAD additionally advocates for improved prison and parole conditions, and provides reentry assistance.
OAD seeks a Paralegal/Intake Specialist to assist with OAD’s client intake process, including collecting, gathering and organizing documents; drafting motions and correspondence; and maintaining contact with clients and their family members. The ideal candidate will have a commitment to social and criminal justice, an appreciation of the obstacles faced by our indigent clients – including issues of race, gender, class, and ethnicity – and the ability to work effectively in a diverse and progressive office environment.
- Monitoring Appellate Division orders for newly assigned cases;
- Opening case files and gathering information about new cases;
- Creating and maintaining database entries for new cases;
- Digitizing, filing, and responding to client letters, questionnaires and releases;
- Responding to calls from clients and their family members;
- Securing, copying and scanning court files and trial counsel files;
- Ordering transcripts and exhibits;
- Assisting with cataloguing and organizing discovery;
- Reviewing case files before assignment to attorney teams;
- Sending affidavits and drafting motions;
- Maintaining grant management system information, and assisting with grant application filings;
- Corresponding with court staff;
- Scheduling legal calls with clients and communicating with prison officials regarding conditions issues;
- Visiting clients in prison.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Talent for managing multiple tasks simultaneously and efficiently;
- Ability to work on a team and independently;
- Flexible self-starter who is willing to tackle new projects and take on additional work, as needed;
- Strong belief in the value and importance of communication with and respect for clients.
Competitive salary with excellent benefits.
Please send substantive cover letter, resume, and salary history by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Paralegal/Intake Specialist” in the subject line.